Project Rules & Guidelines
The following guidelines apply to each participating Team and their projects:
• Project Twenty1 2019 will Launch on October 20th at 4:00PM US PDT. The Secret Element will be revealed at 4:00pm (U.S. Pacific Daylight Time) via a live-stream, on social media, and on this website.
• All projects must be completed and submitted digitally via FilmFreeway by 11:59 p.m. US PDT 21 days from the Launch, on November 10th, 2019.
• ONLY projects that are submitted prior to the deadline will be officially part of the competition, and eligible for Awards.
2. During the 21 day period, all creative endeavors are to take place. All footage must be shot and all animations created within the 21 day time period. Stock footage, animations, 3-d models, sets, logos, overlays, and other project enhancements are permitted as a part of the project, but the project should be something totally new.
3. Work that may commence prior to Project Twenty1 is, fundraising, project participation promotion, securing crew, cast & equipment, character and location design, if animating, securing locations, and securing pre-recorded music & SFX rights.
4. The Secret Element (which may be one or more of the following: a theme or concept, a genre, a character, a prop, a type of location, a line of dialog, an action performed by a character) must appear in the project.
5. The finished project may be as short as you wish, but must be a maximum of 7:00 minutes in duration, including opening and closing credits. This is to ensure quality over quantity.
6. Projects do NOT have to be in English, although if you choose to make a short in another language, it must contain English subtitles.
7. Projects may be live-action film, animation, CGI, mixed-media, stop-motion, immersive or VR projects, trailers, teasers or any other sort of media so long as they can be submitted via FilmFreeway in some form or another.
8. Cast and crew, as well as musicians, locations, and any other involved parties may be paid or volunteer at the team’s discretion, and as permissible by law. Project Twenty1 is not responsible for reimbursing any fiscal outlay by any of the teams during the filming or editing of their projects, nor will Team be reimbursed for any expenses at any point in the future.
9. Each participating team must secure talent, crew, music releases and location releases, and must be authorized to use everything that appears in his or her project. Project Twenty1 will not require releases to be submitted as a part of the project (beyond the certifications required by FilmFreeway), unless a problem arises. By participating, you certify that you have releases in your possession.
10. Project Twenty1 reserves the right to not screen any project that can be considered racist, bigoted, pornographic, or that depicts hard core or graphic sex. Anything that would be above an “R” rating in general is not recommended.
11. Shorts must include the following credit:
“Made as a part of Project Twenty1.”
They may also include Project Twenty1 logos (emailed to Team during Registration) if desired.
12. To be certified as an “Official Project Twenty1 Short,” each participating group’s project must follow all rules herein. Project Twenty1 reserves the right to screen only certified “Official Project Twenty1 Shorts.” All such projects are eligible to compete for awards in its selected category. A panel of independent judges will determine the winners.
13. The Project Twenty1 Producers may add to or amend these rules at any time prior to the beginning of the 21-day time period.
- Don’t be afraid to use union talent (SAG/AFTRA). We have an explanation of how to work with union actors HERE.
- Talk to strangers! Find actors, musicians, artists, and general talent in advance to build your team – don’t just force your mom, best friend, and little brother to be your entire crew.
- Utilize the resources that we provide to you upon Signup. The release forms provided will save you a lot of production time (and avert potential legal troubles in the future).
- Put your heart into it. It will show.
- Don’t forget to have fun!
Legal Rules & Disclaimers
1. Project Twenty1 is a contest where teams have 21 days to make a project from scratch—for details on how the film is to be made, read the Project Rules & Guidelines above.
2. Each time the competition occurs, Project Twenty1 will recognize award winners—as determined by an independent panel of judges. Their judging is final. Awards certificates will be e-mailed via PDF. All prizes and accolades that go along with the award designation.
3. Project Twenty1 is open to all filmmakers/animators and/or other creative people who wish to participate. All participants (Team Leaders and their cast/crew) must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or have the written permission of a parent or legal guardian.
4. Some Project Twenty1 Events (e.g. Screenings, Parties) may be held in locations that require patrons to be 21 years of age or older. This will not affects any participants’ ability to participate in Project Twenty1.
5. The Registration Fee to participate is $49 U.S. per team until October 20th, 2019.
6. If a Team must withdraw from the contest or fails to complete a project, no refunds can be administered.
7. Assignment: Project Twenty1 shall have the right to assign its rights or delegate its duties hereunder, in whole or in part.
8. By registering to be a Participant and signing the required agreement, the entrant agrees to abide by all provisions of this document and the decisions of Project Twenty1 and any panel of judges, whose decisions are final and binding in all respects.
9. Project Twenty1 reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who fails to comply with the provisions of this document in its sole discretion.
10. The Project Twenty1 Competition is produced and administered by Project Twenty1, a Pennsylvania not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
11. Producers and Employees of Project Twenty1 and their families are not eligible. Employees of any partners or commercial sponsors and their families are not eligible.
12. The Producers of Project Twenty1 may amend these rules at any time. Project Twenty1 shall attempt to post any changes to the Project Rules on the Project Twenty1 website (www.projecttwenty1.com) as soon as practical.
13. Void where prohibited by law.